Friday, July 11, 2008

You have got to be kidding me

So my friend Dana at work emailed a lady about adopting a cat. This is the email conversation. I can't even take this. Who are these people and WHERE do they come from? The point is that Ollie goes outside and has a ball. It's not like Dana lives in the big city. She just wanted a pet. Guess not....



From: Mrs. Meow M [mailto:meowmixrescuegroup@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:41 PM
To: Dana
Subject: kitten


Hi,
Thanks for responding. I have to say your email kind of shocked me. Just because we rescue a kitten from outside does not mean you let it go outside. You never ever ever let a cat outside. I think its extremely selfish and cruel. There is nothing outside that a cat needs. Not to mention it can get fleas, tickes, ear mites, worms and all those shots the cat gets is pointless.
Unless a cat is feral which cant come inside.
This kitten can never go outside. She is to young for her shots or spay.

What happen to all the cats you said you have had that were in door outdoor?

Again we appreciate your email and look forward to your responce! =)



From: Dana
To: Mrs. Meow M
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:58:12 PM
Subject: RE: kitten

WOW. The cats that I had that were indoor/outdoor were fine. I have always lived in houses with big yards so all of our animals would come and go as they pleased, dogs, cats, we even let our horses out of their field every once in awhile to roam the yard. The cats slept inside, ate inside, they just like to go outside every once in awhile and play in the grass and chase the bugs and I don’t see any harm in that. They are an animal, animals like the outdoors. The one cat that I tried to keep as indoor cat hated it, and started peeing on everything. It wasn’t until I moved in with my father and he literally could not keep her in (he had a cat flap door for his other cat) that I realized she was peeing all over because she wanted to go outside. She has never done it again, and she couldn’t be happier.

Your email shocks me saying that it is cruel to let a cat outside and that there is nothing outside for a cat. That boggles my mind. I am not saying there is anything wrong with having a strictly indoor cat, but saying that having an indoor/outdoor one is cruel is just odd to me. Most cat owners I know have cats that go in and out as they please. Cats are independent creatures and keeping them locked in a house all day, everyday if they don’t want to be, is cruel.

Anyways, I understand that she is young, that is why I was asking how young.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Dana



From: Mrs. Meow M [mailto:meowmixrescuegroup@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:18 PM
To: Dana
Subject: Re: kitten


Dana,
As i understand your feelings i have been doing cat rescue for over 15 years now. 60% of the rescues i get calls on are " lost cats" or cats getting hit by cars" Cats are NOT meant to go outside. They are not locked in a house they are LIVING in a house. Cats are not like humans where if a human lives in a house never going outside yes that is cruel . You are confusing the two. Subjecting a cat who has absolutly no clue about cars or if a dog comes and attacks or if someone throws things at them chases them, is so selfish anc cruel to me. lets say a cat see's a squirl running, do you think the cat will wait for a green light to chase it across or it will just run? Yes cats are smart but no not when it comes to the dangers of outside. Im sorry but i 100% disagree and yes its exremly selfish to let a cat outside. So what if you had afence cats can climb a fence in 3 seconds. Your cat did not pee as a "sign to go outside. I cant believe youd think that. Perhaps it had a urinary infection. THATS why cats pee outside the litter box, perhaps it didnt like the litter. but no not because it wanted to go outside? You are subjecting it to so much danger. They are not human and do not know the dangers outside.
Where are those cats now that you say you had? Where they all spayed and neueterd?

Thanks



From: Dana
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:41 PM
To: Mrs. Meow M
Subject: RE: kitten


Of course they were all spayed and neutered. What do you think I am? Look, I am just a young lady looking for a pet, and we obviously agree to disagree on this here. I am not confusing a cat with a human. I have my college degree I am not some idiot off the street, thank you. And I guess your right; my cat had a UTI and didn’t like any of the cat litters I tried for a year. OOOPS.

I understand you guys in are new haven, I have lived in the country my whole life and maybe we have different ways of treating our pets because you are honestly the only person I have ever spoken with that is 100% against allowing cats outdoors. And actually try to tell people who do so that they are “selfish” and “cruel”. I have to be the farthest from those two words.

Out of the many cats I have had my entire life I had one that has been hit by a car. And trust me, I have had many. I grew up with animals all over; rabbits, dogs, chickens, horses….. I am not an ignoramus that all of a sudden thought it would be fun to adopt a stray kitten….. More like a caring adult who wanted to, out of the goodness of her heart adopt this young kitten. I have been looking around for awhile and thought that I would rather adopt one that needed a companion, needed a little extra attention.

Well thank you for your time.



From: Mrs. Meow M [mailto:meowmixrescuegroup@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:05 PM
To: Dana
Subject: Re: kitten



that one cat you had that got hit by a car was because of your neglagince, remmber that. By you saying "only one", is so offensive . So i guess his life meant nothing,

Hope that taught you a lesson- guess not.

I do not think you should own any cats- sorry.



From: Dana
To: Mrs. Meow M
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 8:10:32 AM
Subject: RE: kitten


I think you are crazy. And I discussed this conversation with a few people and they all thought the same thing. Its life. Get used to it.



You put an awful lot of judgement on someone you don’t know. And I would not take an animal from you ever. I think you are the one that is getting the whole animal/human concept confused.



Peace out.



From: Mrs. Meow M [mailto:meowmixrescuegroup@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 9:39 AM
To: Dana
Subject: Re: kitten



I think you and whom ever you spoke to are the same peolpe who have killed their cats by selfish and lack of knowledgment. Remember you killed your cat by letting it out side , not us, so whose crazy? Imagine how your cat felt getting smashed in the face by a 1000 pound car, all because you thought it HAD to go outside. Sure cats obey traffic signs to right? They must go outside right? Or else they are not happy? Or because your stupid? Remember how your cat suffered because of YOU not us ALL YOU. Laying there dead in the street thinking why wasnt my mommy there to protect me? Nope she was inside on her cell phone thinking me a cat has a clue about crossing the street. But i guess my life wasnt worth it to her since hey " im just one cat".

You are the exact type of person shelters and rescue people hate and stay away from. You are the reason so many cats are lost or get killed by cars.

I suggest you do not own any cats in the future. I do not think you are educated enough to handle what it takes to be a responsible pet owner.




From: Dana
To: Mrs. Meow M
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 8:10:32 AM
Subject: RE: kitten

You have no effin clue what you are talking about. Your just the crazy cat lady obviously.



And now I’m stupid….. Nice lady you are.



From: Mrs. Meow M [mailto:meowmixrescuegroup@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 9:46 AM
To: Dana
Subject: Re: kitten




truth hurts-- i know

No comments: