Thursday, May 15, 2008

Old story




One day, a while ago, Pattycake was asking me questions about Jamie. That's fine, I really don't mind answering them, as Jamie's diagnosis (PDD/NOS) is kind of a weird one and he's not like a lot of autistic kids. The next day, as I'm saying goodbye to Pattycake (as I HAVE to do every day, otherwise she freaks out) she tells me that she was watching "Rainman" the night before. The first thing I think is that she is going to ask me what Jamie's magical power was. And I could tell that she was struggling with a way to tie the two things together. I might have saved her when I told her that Jamie didn't have to have his underwear come from a certian store. That was the end of that conversation.

A few weeks later, there was a story on Good Morning America about some autistic kid that could replicate paintings even after seeing them once for like, 30 seconds. My mom and I are both in the kitchen watching this and my mom looks at me and says, "Boy, we really got the short end of the stick with Jamie. He can't do anything!" Then we both laughed and laughed and laughed. We are apparently bad people. Jamie can do things, but none of them are so amazing. He knows when everyone's garbage comes. And he likes to follow rules. He also has a sense of humor, which when you think about it, is a pretty complex thing. He swears in perfect context (fucking shennigans) and he's just generally amusing.

No comments: